Puvis de Chavannes on exhibit at Allerton Park

The Sacred Grove at the Art Institute of Chicago

The Sacred Grove at the Art Institute of Chicago

003

Last year, this vintage postcard gave unexpected proof that this painting actually exhibited in the Allerton House. A copy of a 1955 letter in the University Archives about Robert Allerton’s request for the loan of the painting gave rise to the research question in the first place. This postcard found on Ebay provided evidence. A catalogue raisonnee of de Chavannes’ works cited by Ryerson Library at the Art Institute of Chicago supplied the missing dates. The Sacred Grove by French painter, Puvis de Chavannes was on loan from the AIC to Allerton House at Robert Allerton Park from May 11, 1955 to October 26, 1962. The Sacred Grove, painted circa 1884, was gifted to the Art Institute in 1922.

This entry was posted in Park and the Palace. Bookmark the permalink.